Alt tab changes window groups, and alt backtick (‘`’, just above tab) navigates inside a given group of windows!! So useful.
If when you simply add skype command to the Startup applications, Skype does start-up, but there is no icon in the system tray, so that if you close the main window, or have the option to start in system tray, you cannot access Skype anymore with a GUI. Even worse, the Skype instance continues to run on the background, preventing you from opening a new one.
To me, the solution was instead of simply adding a command skype, to add
bash -c "sleep 10 && skype"
This waits for a bit before starting up Skype, so it seems that the problem was that Skype was starting up too early before some other necessary things were ready.
Source: this ask Ubunutu page
If that happens for any reason and if you can still boot, but get a broken interface (no mouse and keyboard for me) a possible solution is:
- BACKUP YOUR STUFF IN YOUR WINDOWS PARTITION IF YOU HAVE ONE: with this program called diskinternals
- Open a tty (Control + Alt + F2)
- Login with your username and password (IF YOU HAVE NUMBERS IN YOUR USERNAME, TYPE THEM ABOVE THE LETTERS, NOT IN THE NUM PAD)
sudo apt-get -f dist-upgradeand follow the instructions
find . -type f ( -iname "*.mp3" -o -iname "*.flac" -o -iname "*.m4a" -o -iname "*.ogg" -o -iname "*.wav" -o -iname "*.wma" ) -print0 | xargs -0 totem
- ‘-o’ means or: we are choosing either type of file
- ‘-print0’ + ‘xargs -0’: almighty combo that allows for filenames with newlines
- caps lock is not very useful
- caps lock changes the keyboard state, which might be undesirable if you want to use in a keyboard macro program such as Autokey which cannot stop Caps lock from changing state
- the venerable VIM extensively uses Esc to change modes, so you would rather have it closeby
Append some code to your ~/.Xmodmap file. It’s executed at the right time at startup by the xmodmap command, so that your modifications take place every time.
echo " ! Swap caps lock and escape remove Lock = Caps_Lock keysym Escape = Caps_Lock keysym Caps_Lock = Escape add Lock = Caps_Lock" >> ~/.Xmodmap